Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Remembering those who passed away this year: A Fashion Obituary

The fashion world has lost so many this year and I want to honor them. Some I didn't even know existed until now. But it's never too late for geniuses to get recognition so I first want to introduce you to the works of Fausto Sarli if you haven't been acquainted with him already.

A true Italian designer Sarli dressed many in his hand-crafted pieces. True to the real meaning of haute couture Sarli was the one to drape the fabric on the models to make the dresses that would grace the likes of Carla Bruni. I am sad to have just discovered him, but I'm glad I did. His pieces are marvelous down-to-earth couture.

Read his obituary by the Guardian here. He passed away December 16 of this year.

Here are some pieces from his fall winter 2010 collection:



Catherine Walker is another designer who passed away this year. She was the personal couturier of Princess Diana. Almost all of the dresses Diana wore in public to look royal were made by Walker. The designer grew up in France and learned the way of the Paris couturier and kept designing that way even when many fashion houses went down a different road. She had long lasting relationships with her clients. She dressed the likes of Lucy Liu for the red carpet.

Here she is with Princess Diana (picture from here):


And of course we lost the great Lee Alexander McQueen this year. I still haven't gotten over his death. There are so many articles about him I still need to read in order to get a fuller picture of his life. Two of them can be found here.

Thanks to the Gaurdian.co.uk for keeping me informed about the late greats of the fashion world. There are many on the site that I haven't mentioned so I encourage you to click on the link above for more information about them.

Keep an eye out for more McQeen retrospectives.

No comments:

Post a Comment