Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Black Swan and its effect on Fashion

I watched the movie "The Black Swan" with a friend of mine from college. We were both excited to watch it being girls in the know. It's been hyped everywhere and we knew we had to see it. Pending its release many fashion websites compared the outfits from the film to current trends on the runway. It seems designers where also very influenced by it. Well it's nothing new really. Girls have been wearing tulle and ballet flats for years, but some of the dresses on the runway went a little bit more literal in their interpretation of the trend. Not that that's a bad thing. I happen to love this Spring/Summer 2011 dress by Collette Dinnigan. Quite a few of her dresses were ballet inspired.



There have been several editorials in the top fashion magazines inspired by the world of dance as well. My favorite, one that I had on my wall for a while, was Caroline Trentini's "Flights of Fancy" in the September 2008 issue of Vogue.


The movie was, well it wasn't a let down because I really didn't know what to expect. It was pretty weird that's for sure. I was a ballerina for seven years and I used to want to go professional. It's a tough world out their for a dancer and I'm pretty glad I didn't. I saw a bit of myself in the way Nina danced. I always wanted to be perfect and I concetrated so hard it wasn't any fun. My teachers always told me to loosen up, not in the way the company director told Nina, but I still feel for her. It was definitely a movie I'm glad I saw, but won't watch it again because parts were really painful.
I know all the fashion blogs have been talking about it, but that doesn't make it a fashion movie. Her costumes were beautiful, but the clothes she wore offstage were normal. I really wasn't inspired like I was when I watched Breakfast at Tiffany's again last night, but it's not that kind of movie so I really can't complain.
As for whether you should see it or not... if you're old enough to buy the ticket by yourself then well that's fine, but don't see it with your parents! I'm glad I didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment