Friday, January 29, 2010

Chanel Couture Show

This week was Couture Week in Paris. Couture is a dying art. In order to be considered couture everything must be hand made. I watched a TV mini-series about the making of Chanel's couture line and Karl Lagerfeld, the head designer, commissioned an elderly lady to hand-make lace for each of his dresses. The lace was beautiful and intricate and she was the last in a long line of lace makers. For this reason haute couture is beyond expensive. Almost $100,000 per dress is a good estimate. Not everyone can afford this obviously, but I hope someone is always able to so I can see the over the top designs Karl and other couture designers like John Galliano cook up. It's wearable art.

For this post I chose what I think are the highlights of the Chanel Haute Couture show:

The theme of the show was iridescent colors. Pastels mostly. It produced a lovely effect. The pink long dress would be a refreshing change to the normal mermaid dresses that you see on the red carpet these days. Lets hope some ingenue like Cate Blanchett picks it up and wears it to a premiere.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh see? this is the kind of stuff I want to see in blogss about fashion. People explaining fashion to me, someone that knows nothing about it. Now I know what couture is! yay, lol
    I loooove that pink one. The others are quite extravagant and classy for me, but that pink one is abs gorgeous and it's red carpet wearable. :)
    Awesome post D!

    ReplyDelete